So you’re online and you wonder how your network is doing. How do you measure it? I’m here for you.
- Fast.com is my go-to for quick checks. It measures using only Netflix connections so bypasses some ISP fuckery with DPI and slowdowns. Elegant UI.
- Speed.cloudflare.com is the best by a long shot. Detailed and capable of saturating my 400mbit downlink.
- Testmy.net is decent but uglier.
- Speedtest.net is ad laden.
- Sourceforge.net/speedtest is ok and used to be my favorite. Lots of ads now.
As explained in my series of gigabit posts, making a fast, reliable network takes time and effort, and these sites don’t magically make it happen. However, having a way to measure your changes is super helpful, and I probably use these weekly.